THANK YOU to EVERYONE who has already donated time, materials, expertise and funds however large or small to the project.
With your incredible support and a grant from the Banister Trust we have now raised over £91,000.
This means that we have made a big step forwards to achieving the first of our targets – to buy the land. But there is still much to do.
In October we will be applying to the Heritage Lottery for help with the whole project, which is costed at just over £340,000. For this bid we will need to show we have at least £240,000 without depleting our financial reserves too far.
So if you have been thinking about a donation please do so now.
Please consider donating by using this button:
Our exciting opportunity to secure the future of Restharrow Scrape, a local Nature Reserve, for Wildlife
In order to buy the 12.4 acres and develop the Restharrow Scrape project to improve the area for wildlife and the community, SBBOT will need to raise in excess of £180,000 and much closer to £340,000.
Every £ we raise will make a difference to what we can do with the field once purchased so please consider making a donation.
A big thank you already for your donations of £10, £20, £50 etc.
You might also like to consider our Adopt-a-Plot Scheme
See our donation form here: Restharrow Scrape Donation Form
There are 400 hypothetical plots available for a donation of £250 each.
Why not band together with friends to adopt a plot?
An incredible 159 plots have been adopted so far!
So we are almost 2/5ths of our way to our target.
Available plots are shown below (adopted plots are in red):
Other ways to help this project…
- For the month of September Waitrose in Ramsgate are having us as one of their charities. If you can shop there it will improve our fundraising.
- Posters on sale in our shop for £5. All proceeds go towards the project. (Thanks to Nick Smith for the design).
- Raise funds for SBBOT through Easy Fundraising at no extra cost when shopping online here: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/sandwichbaybot/
- YOU CAN ALSO CLICK HERE TO BID FOR ART ONLINE.
- Please offer cakes, art/craft items for sale or your time for the Auction Day. Details in the Observatory or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have other ideas for fundraising activities, especially any that you would be willing to lead on, please contact the Chair of the Restharrow Scrape Fundaising committee Sally Hunter at email@example.com
The Scrape is at present a very popular part of what we offer at Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory. We really hope you will be willing to help us in our long-held dream of securing this piece of wildlife habitat for the future.
We have already had several unsolicited donations to the fund from individuals and offers to help from people with influence, for example with other charitable trusts. We will be using some of our Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust financial reserves as well as making bids for various funding, such as the Heritage Lottery Fund.
With your help we intend to purchase the Scrape field to secure it’s future and develop it further to benefit the flora and fauna in the area. As you can see from the map above, we are hoping to extend the Scrape, creating a larger sanctuary for wildlife with a huge focus on nesting birds. New islands and shingled areas will create more habitat for wetland species, hopefully increasing numbers of breeding Waders such as Avocet.
Deepened areas will mean we have more water present during dry spells, ensuring there is habitat available for not only breeding birds but a whole host of aquatic life dependent on this type of environment. The creation of a Wildflower Meadow will provide an additional area for pollinators, which could also benefit Turtle Doves, Finches and Buntings, and will also include the installation of Barn Owl nestboxes. Members and visitors will be able to enjoy views of the scrape not only from our existing hide, but hopefully from a second hide with other development plans including the creation of a Sand Martin Bank.
WITH SPECIAL THANKS TO:
John Hollyer for designing the project’s logo and contributing his original art work for use in this appeal.
- Artists who have generously donated to our Art Auction. We really appreciate how many of you are willing to help towards this fundraiser.
- A huge THANK YOU to everyone who attended, contributed and organised our Plant Sale on Sunday 10th June. We raised an incredible £520+ for the appeal!
- THANK YOU to Pam Worrell for the donation of £85 from the Bat Walk on 25th August.
- At our Open Day on 26th August 6 plots were adopted and over £160 given in donations to the appeal. Thank you to everyone who gave so generously.
- Thanks to everyone who completed one of our questionnaires. We had 175 responses which were both overwhelmingly positive and had good ideas for the development phase.
- Thanks to Richard Taylor-Jones. His talk and generous raffle prize realised £1100.
- Thanks to our WEX group we have raised £25 from the sale of the hedgehog hibernation box.
- Huge thanks to Royal St. George’s Golf Club current captain Mark Batten for choosing us as his charity for his golf day on Friday 26th September. Thanks to all the players and supporters who have donated to this day. We don’t have a figure yet for the money raised but it will be more than £20,000. THANK YOU.
- The Bangers and Mash quiz raised just under £1000 so thank you to all who helped spud bash and cook and wash up and attended and bought raffle tickets.