Sunday Morning Walks
Our walks are starting up again:
From 2nd August our guided walks will resume on Sunday mornings at 9am.
Cost £3 per person (accompanying children under 16 £1).
Please note that there is a small £1 charge at the Toll Gate for non-members.
Thank you to the volunteer walk leaders.
Please observe the following protocols to ensure we can do this safely:
- All participants must observe social distancing at all times, before, during and after the walk.
- Participants should be made aware of not touching such surfaces as metal gates during the walk.
- There must be no sharing of such items as binoculars, telescopes or walking poles.
- Participants may wish to bring their own cold or hot drinks.
- The toilets at the Bird Observatory will not be available except in a dire emergency. For Observatory-based walks, the nearest public toilets are on the Quay at Sandwich and these are currently open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Participants may wish to bring their own hand sanitiser and face masks.
- For walks around the Estate, please be aware that the Restharrow Scrape hides will NOT be available.
- Payment for each walk should be placed in a sealed envelope and given to the group leader.
- A record of the names and a contact telephone number of all participants will need to be taken by the group leader for each walk. This is for Observatory insurance purposes and also in the event of ‘tracking and tracing’ becoming necessary under the Covid-19 regulations.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Field Centre and all indoor facilities remain closed for the foreseeable future. Reserves open as usual.
These walks will begin at the Observatory and centre on our reserves nearby and the greater recording area (Worth Marshes, Green Wall, New Downs etc.) and will develop censusing skills while recording the changing populations of birds, butterflies, dragonflies, orchids and other wildlife through the year.
Everyone is welcome to join Mike Briggs and/or Ken Chapman, the walk leaders.