All about BTO surveys
(Residential – Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory)
16.00 Friday 10th – 14:00 Sunday 12th May 2019
Discover the range of BTO surveys, and just how easy and enjoyable they are to do!
Event host / presenter: Nick Moran
Taking part in BTO volunteer surveys is hugely rewarding, not only providing valuable data for science and conservation but also developing your own birding skills in various ways. Join former BTO survey organiser Nick Moran to explore the surveys that might suit you at this great location, with a wide range of birds and habitats on the doorstep. Practical sessions are carried out in small groups, ensuring a high level of tutor-to-participant attention.
This course will provide you with the following:
- An overview of the general principles underpinning BTO volunteer surveys.
- A brief introduction to the full suite of BTO volunteer surveys.
- A detailed insight into BirdTrack, the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) and the Breeding Bird Survey (BBS).
- Ample opportunity to practice the skills needed for BirdTrack, WeBS and BBS in the field.
- A survey pack with all the fieldwork forms for the outdoor sessions.
- A specially-produced CD of bird songs and calls.
This weekend residential course costs £250. The price includes accommodation at the Observatory, breakfasts, packed lunches and cooked evening meals at a nearby pub (from Friday evening to Sunday lunchtime inclusive), tuition and course materials.
Observatory accommodation is in twin rooms. Please enquire if you would like a single room, which may be available for a supplement but cannot be guaranteed.
A non-residential price of £170 is also available, which includes packed lunches and evening meals but not bed or breakfast. Please ask for more details, though note that there are both pre-breakfast and post-dinner activities.